Chicago veteran prosecutor resigns, citing ‘zero confidence’ in Kim Foxx

<mediadc-video-embed data-state="{"cms.site.owner":{"_ref":"00000161-3486-d333-a9e9-76c6fbf30000","_type":"00000161-3461-dd66-ab67-fd6b93390000"},"cms.content.publishDate":1659272036682,"cms.content.publishUser":{"_ref":"0000017d-fe9d-da96-ad7d-ffbf8a5c0000","_type":"00000161-3461-dd66-ab67-fd6b933a0007"},"cms.content.updateDate":1659272036682,"cms.content.updateUser":{"_ref":"0000017d-fe9d-da96-ad7d-ffbf8a5c0000","_type":"00000161-3461-dd66-ab67-fd6b933a0007"},"rawHtml":"

var _bp = _bp||[]; _bp.push({ "div": "Brid_59133903", "obj": {"id":"27789","width":"16","height":"9","video":"1064960"} }); ","_id":"00000182-5451-d2c8-a7f7-df5ff48f0000","_type":"2f5a8339-a89a-3738-9cd2-3ddf0c8da574"}”>Video EmbedA 25-year veteran prosecutor in Chicago announced his resignation on Friday, arguing that he had “zero confidence” in the leadership of Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx.

James Murphy, a former assistant state’s attorney, detailed his strife with his Democratic boss, saying her office’s mission vision and value statements were “just a PR stunt.”

SOROS-BACKED DISTRICT ATTORNEY FACES GROWING BACKLASH AS CRIME SPIKES

“I would love to continue to fight for the victims of crime and to continue to stand with each of you, especially in the face of the overwhelming crime that is crippling our communities. However, I can no longer work for this Administration. I have zero confidence in their leadership,” Murphy wrote, according to CWB Chicago.

Murphy said that Foxx’s office, the second-largest prosecutor’s office in the country, which oversees the city of Chicago, has been “hemorrhaging talent” over the past few years, leaving the rest of those working there “overworked, overstressed, and under-resourced.”

Kim Foxx
Murphy added that he first started contemplating leaving when the SAFE-T Act was passed in January 2021. That is a broad measure that eliminates cash bail, reforms police training, and requires body cameras at all departments by 2025.

Although Murphy said he supports the cash bail provision, it felt as though the act was rushed through and his concerns were brushed aside.

“How many mass shootings do there have to be before something is done? This Administration is more concerned with political narratives and agendas than with victims and prosecuting violent crime. That is why I can’t stay any longer,” Murphy wrote.

Last year, Murphy was placed on leave briefly by Foxx after she argued that he “failed to fully present the facts” during a bond hearing in which he described how a Chicago police officer shot and killed 13-year-old Adam Toledo.

Murphy told the judge that Toledo had a gun in his hand but did not mention that he had dropped the weapon less than a second before he was shot, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was later reinstated in his position.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Foxx has been Cook County’s state attorney since 2016 and was reelected in 2020.

The Washington Examiner reached out to Foxx’s office for comment.

Related Content