Arlington flood damage estimated at $13 million

Published July 4, 2006 4:00am ET



Arlington County estimates that $13 million worth of damage was caused by the floods last week.

Steve Holl, deputy chief for Arlington police, said the estimatewas higher than the county expected.

“We had no idea about the damage that has been done to the parks,” he told The Examiner. “To go out and see the damage is really incredible.” Of the estimated $13 million, $3 million in damage was of public parks and recreational facilities, according to the county. Public and private utilities also sustained approximately $3 million in damages.

The damage estimate was submitted to Gov. Tim Kaine last week after he declared a state of emergency for Virginia. Once damage estimates from around the region are in, the state could ask for financial assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

On Friday, Kaine asked President George W. Bush to declare a federal emergency. Arlington County spokeswoman Mary Curtius said the county’s estimate was preliminary and conservative. She said it could change in the coming days.

The Northern Virginia region was hit hard by the floods. Fairfax County estimates damages at $4.6 million, and Prince William County estimates $55,000. Alexandria has yet to release a damage estimate.