Ward 8 D.C. Councilman Marion Barry called up The Washington Examiner on Friday to tell yours truly I shouldn’t have said he was “blaming” the Office of Campaign Finance for not posting his Jan. 31 report. That’s not it at all, he said, adding that he would have preferred the phrase “Barry explains” that the office did not post his report.
“At no point in time was I blaming anybody,” Barry said. “You’re putting the onus on me. The onus is on the campaign finance [office] they were derelict. They were extremely derelict.”
Duly noted.
Barry also told The Examiner that he “asked them to find who didn’t post it and to send a letter explaining it to me.” He said he wants his report to be “squeaky clean.”
I told the councilman I’d write a blog post about our conversation and clarifying his stance for the record.
Here’s the original blog post. Earlier this week, Barry issued a statement to the media following accusations from candidates vying for his seat that he didn’t file his report. Apparantly the OCF just didn’t post it online.
Barry also noted Friday that he never said the OCF “forgot” to post his campaign report.
