Grey’s Anatomy driver sues LAPD over ‘racially motivated’ traffic stop

A driver for Grey’s Anatomy was the victim of a “racially motivated” traffic stop by Los Angeles Police Department officers, according to a $20 million lawsuit.

Ernest Simon, an employee for Disney, which distributes the medical drama, is suing the LAPD, Chief of Police Michel Moore, 20 unnamed officers, and the city of Los Angeles for $20 million after what he says was an unlawful “high risk” traffic stop while driving a company vehicle between location shoots, according to a court filing on Thursday with the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.


“The LAPD’s wrongful and illegal actions caused Mr. Simon to fear that he was about to be shot at his workplace in front of his co-workers for simply being a Black man in the wrong neighborhood,” Stephen Larson, part of Simon’s legal team at Larson LLP, said in a press release obtained by the Washington Examiner.

US ASTRONAUT TO HITCH RIDE ON RUSSIAN CAPSULE RETURNING TO EARTH

Officers began following Simon, a 31-year-old black man, after observing his “race and appearance” on March 18, 2021, the lawsuit noted.

After officers pulled Simon over on the erroneous belief he was driving a stolen vehicle, law enforcement officials ordered him to exit his vehicle at gunpoint and made him “spread eagle” on the asphalt, which several crew members witnessed, the complaint alleged.

“Given that there was no reason to suspect Mr. Simon of committing any crime or traffic violation, the decision to pursue Mr. Simon—based solely on the fact that he was an African American male lawfully driving in the predominantly-white neighborhood of Tarzana, California—constitutes racial profiling and discrimination in violation of Mr. Simon’s rights,” the filing said, noting Los Angeles “has been on notice of the LAPD’s pattern and practice of racial profiling, illegal detentions of Black citizens, excessive force against Black citizens, and illegal searches of vehicles operated by Black citizens.”

Officers called for backup of “at least seven” LAPD squad cars and requested an LAPD helicopter despite reassurances from a Disney security guard that Simon was authorized to drive the vehicle, according to the filing.

“When another co-worker of Mr. Simon, this time a white male, spoke to Doe Officer Defendants and reiterated what the security guard, Mr. Simon, and Mr. Simon’s African American co-worker had previously told them: that the van was rented and operated by Disney and that Mr. Simon was a Disney employee who was authorized to be inside the Basecamp,” the filing stated. “Only after listening to Mr. Simon’s white co-worker did Doe Officer Defendants finally release Mr. Simon from custody.”

Earlier this month, Los Angeles Police Commission adopted a new policy so police could no longer use minor violations, such as a broken tail light, as a reason to investigate motorists for more serious crimes unless they have “articulable information,” according to NBC Los Angeles. In these circumstances, officers are also required to record themselves with body cameras and state the reasoning for suspecting a serious crime.

The change was made in response to “pretty substantial racial disparities” in traffic stops, many of which were pretextual, according to the Office of the Inspector General.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Simon is seeking damages for expenses from medical and psychological treatment, loss of reputation, litigation expenses, among others.

The LAPD did not respond to the Washington Examiner’s request for comment.

Related Content