Trump: Google’s search engine suppressed ‘bad news’ about Clinton

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump claimed Wednesday night that Google’s search engine suppressed “bad news” about his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton after the first debate on Monday.

Trump opened his speech Wednesday in Waukesha, Wis. by touting a new Reuters poll showing him leading Clinton in Iowa and new Google/IJR poll that has him up 2 points nationally. He then told supporters that this was despite Google tipping the scale against him after Monday’s debate.

“That’s despite the fact that Google’s search engine was suppressing the bad news about Hillary Clinton,” Trump said. “How about that?”

The comment is Trump’s latest grievance about the debate. In the 48 hours since the debate, he has attacked moderator Lester Holt as being biased and blamed a “defective” microphone. It was also not a remark the GOP nominee made off the cuff, as it was included in the prepared remarks his campaign sent out soon after the conclusion of his Wednesday speech.

The vast majority of the rest of his Wednesday rally focused on Clinton’s financial connections, especially during her tenure at the State Department, many of which he laid out during a rally hours earlier in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Spokespersons at the Trump campaign and Google did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Related Content