AUKE BAY, Alaska (AP) — State and local officials held a ribbon cutting to mark the first phase of improvements to a Juneau area harbor.
Wednesday’s ceremony marked the completion of the $8.3 million first phase of work at Statter Harbor at Auke Bay, the Juneau Empire reported (http://bit.ly/1842nVz). Other elements of the facility, including a boat launch ramp, a passenger for-hire facility and a haul-out still have to be built. Phase two is scheduled to begin next year.
Recommended Stories
In attendance were Juneau’s legislative delegation, several assembly members, Deputy Mayor Mary Becker and relatives of the late Don Statter, for whom the harbor is named. Statter was a former city docks and harbors board member.
“Without the stalwart support of our elected officials, board members and civic leaders, this and other waterfront projects would remain locked as only good ideas and never come to fruition,” Docks and Harbors Port Director Carl Uchytil said.
Deputy Port Engineer Erich Schaal said there were interesting aspects to the project. For example, some piles are up to 240 feet long, which he said required the contractor to specifically construct a crane to handle them.
He also said a special lighting system had been incorporated to help diffuse light pollution.
___
Information from: Juneau (Alaska) Empire, http://www.juneauempire.com
