Syria aid bombing strains American-Russian relations

The U.S. government is appalled by airstrikes aimed at a humanitarian aid convoy in Syria earlier Monday and is reflecting on whether to continue its diplomatic relationship with Russia, a State Department spokesman said late Monday.

“The United States is outraged by reports that a humanitarian aid convoy was bombed near Aleppo today,” spokesman John Kirby said. “The United States will raise this issue directly with Russia. Given the egregious violation of the cessation of hostilities we will reassess the future prospects for cooperation with Russia.”

The Syrian regime had denied entry to the United Nations convoys over the past week up until Monday, when attacks by either a Russian or Syrian aircraft struck 18 of the 31 aid trucks.

Last week in Geneva, Russia was urged to follow through on its commitment to allow food, water and hygiene products through to the tens of thousands of people near Aleppo. The U.S. said it will speak to Russia this week.

Local authorities are still working to determine the number of casualties from the attacks, which came after a weeklong cease-fire between the Syrian government and rebel groups fell apart.

A local witness told Reuters the hours-long attack began with “an hour of extremely fierce bombing” and was followed by two barrel bombs. The aid trucks were struck just west of Aleppo, but it is not clear which organization the trucks belonged to or the number of casualties.

The city and surrounding areas have been hit by 35 missile strikes since the truce, brokered by the U.S. and Russia, was called off by Syria’s military earlier in the day. Russian President Vladimir Putin has backed Syrian President Bashar Assad, making it unclear which nation was behind Monday’s strikes.

President Obama and Putin had attempted to muster a long-term cease-fire between the Syrian government and rebel groups, who have fought for control of the country for five years, prompting millions to flee the violence as refugees.

Related Content